Get the Eagle eye view...

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mallardhunter
Veteran

Postby mallardhunter » Wed Aug 08, 2001 1:50 pm

Just a follow-up, that getting a duck's eye view of your hunting grounds is a real eye-opener. For the money, it's a heckuva deal!

Everyone who hunts should take advantage of this offer. It's well worth it. I learned to fly in part to get that duck's perspective of the hunting grounds.

Will you still be flying during the season, weather permitting?
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Wed Aug 08, 2001 3:18 pm

Wingman, I thought you'd buried that plane nose first in a rice field it's been so long since you posted! Y'all been getting any rain over that way lately? Did you ever catch up to your lost atv? Are you going to guide again this year? Good hearing from you, man. Those of you who don't know Wingman, he knows his stuff. Made duck hunters out of a few GA boys last winter...and that's a job!
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Aug 08, 2001 7:04 pm

Well, mallardhunter, if I still own the plane come duck season, you can bet I'll be flying it! I can scout all of my duckholes, 30 miles from the furthest south to the furthest north, in about 30 minutes, when it would take a half day using truck and fourwheeler. I have noticed that when I see ducks in the afternoon, they'll come back the next morning within 50 yards of where they were the afternoon before. And they won't spook from the plane, like they will from an atv. This way, I can know EXACTLY where they want to be, and set up there the next morning. I've spotted big rockin' chair heads in the bushes and can go straight to where they lay....that is if they're not the smart ones that watch you fly away then boogie to another spot!! From the air, you can find out pretty much how to get to a honey hole, when from the ground it would take hours on end.
Crow, no sir, never found that Yamaha, but bought a Sportsman and it works just fine. If I'm around this winter, I'll be guiding...can't let the ducks get away with a belly full of corn and not having to pay for it! Thanks for the good word, fellas.

Wingman
judge jb
Duck South Addict

Postby judge jb » Wed Aug 08, 2001 7:15 pm

no thanks, my little brother is a fly-boy...

judge jb
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Wed Aug 08, 2001 8:13 pm

I have scouted the marshes down here from my friends ultralight many times. It is amazing what you see from the air, and HOW EASY IT IS to spot square duck blinds from the air.......
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Aug 08, 2001 11:53 pm

Have you ever wanted to see your lease or private property from the air? Do those pesky ASCS maps really give you the detail you want? I am a Commercial rated pilot and own a 4 seat, Cessna 170B. I'm trying to build up some more flight time and the costs are killin' me. I have 550 hours already and have been flying for 10 years, but I need more flight time. During the winter I scout my duckholes with the airplane. You'd be amazed at what you can see from up there. You can get the big picture on refuges, the property adjoining yours, or even your own lease. You might even want to fly over a place you're considering leasing, before you lease it. Occasionally I look for deer from the airplane, and they rarely will run and hide, but just stand there. You can even see them lying down in the briars, when from the ground, you'd never see them. Even scouting out sandbars in the River is a cinch. I've also searched for dead deer and stolen tractors from the air. As I said, I'm trying to build time but I'm not in the air taxi business. I'd be willing to take some of y'all flying if you'd cover the hourly expenses on my plane. I can haul myself, full gas and up to 600 additional pounds of human or non-human cargo (hehe, my dog is learning to fly!) I calculate the operating cost per hour to be around 50 dollars. I could fly from my strip to anywhere within a 60 nautical mile radius for free, but past 60, I would have to charge per hour for the ferry. (Madison, Kosciusko, Grenada, Marks, Vicksburg and Dumas, AR are all within the 60 mile range.) You and a friend or two could split the 50/hour, and cover alot of ground in an hour. Put it this way, I can fly from home to Meridian in an hour. Stuttgart is an hour away and so is Natchez and Starkville. If you are an average weight guy, say 200 pounds, I could haul you, and possibly two of your buddies for an hour, cover all the ground you want to look at, and you'd only be out less than 17 dollars apiece. Now how much gas in your pickup, and fourwheeler and time spent walking would it take to rack up 17 bucks? Not much. If any of y'all are interested, email me at turnandbank@hotmail.com . Thanks, Micah, for letting me post this.

Wingman

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: Wingman ]
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Thu Aug 09, 2001 5:32 pm

Jim from TNT....I sent an email but it failed to deliver. Starkville is out of the 60 mile range. I'm available most anytime, but Saturday afternoon is best, weather permitting. Email me again with a different address if you can.

Wingman
greenheadhunter2000
Veteran

Postby greenheadhunter2000 » Thu Aug 09, 2001 7:18 pm

Hey wing man,I live noth of Philadelphia and would love to take you up on ur deal.We have an airport here in Philadelphia u could fly into.I would love to get up and check out Nanih Wahia WMA and Pearl River.will e-mail ya.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”