Is a 3 year old too young?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Postby mallardchaser » Mon Jul 30, 2001 1:26 pm

MEEKA:
DO YOU HUNT THE SWAMP?
laduck
Veteran

Postby laduck » Mon Jul 30, 2001 5:47 pm

Meeka, I was out there on Saturday. We didn't have as much luck. Caught 12=13 specks, they were good fish. Also went down toward the mouth of the river and caught some reds. However, it was a long day. I am so glad that you'll and the kids had aa big time, that is great for the kids.

Shoot them sprigs on their first pass!
Meeka
Duck South Addict

Postby Meeka » Mon Jul 30, 2001 11:46 pm

. . . not for speck fishing! Me and my duck partner took two boys fishing saturday in Breton Sound. Mine is 3, his is about 7. They each absolutely loved it.

We left at 2:30 a.m. and put in at sunrise. hit the outerbays with a SW wind at about 10 knots; moderate seas. I thought here we go, I hope noone mentions S.I.C.K.! No problem. Caught a good mess of specks, (about 20), mostly 16-18" some bigger, at a rig. 2 went 22".

He was fine there. Left about 11:00 a.m. with the wind and seas, rough and whitecapping, at our back. He still loved it. The rougher the better. When we would hit a trough and spray went everywhere, he was mesmerized.

By the time mine called the trip it was about 2 and we were all ready anyway.

We were able to boat 2 reds. I saw for the first time not just tailing reds, but one that looked like he was gonna get stuck! His whole back was out of the water. We never really figured out how to trick them though. we used finger mullet, market shrimp, live shrimp, Top Dogs, and spinners. caught one on a spoon we threw in his mouth and one on cracked crab.

We had a 20 minute trip back up the MRGO and mine was still "driving" the boat and fell asleep while "driving" and standing up!

Maybe he is ready for Panther Swamp!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”