Hey Anatidae

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Model12
Veteran

Hey Anatidae

Postby Model12 » Thu Jul 26, 2001 12:56 pm

Hey, just wondering if you've shot any of the Kent "impact" Tungsten/Matrix, I ordered 5 boxes to shoot in my 2.75" O/U. I ordered #5's for close work on "in your face" early mornings. Any one care to comment? Thanks.... [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
judge jb
Duck South Addict

Hey Anatidae

Postby judge jb » Thu Jul 26, 2001 2:43 pm

tried a box last season that were gave to me.. hard to tell with 10 shots... nothing impressive happened with them, but about the same with all shells and my shootin...haha.. ain't they about a buck 50 each?

judge jb
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Hey Anatidae

Postby GulfCoast » Thu Jul 26, 2001 3:11 pm

I have shot them. They work fine, about the same as lead. Very expensive lead!
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Hey Anatidae

Postby mallardchaser » Thu Jul 26, 2001 3:29 pm

THEY DON'T WORK AS GOOD AS LEAD # 6, HIPOWER, COPPERPLATED TURKEY LOADS.
HAHA
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Hey Anatidae

Postby Greenhead22 » Thu Jul 26, 2001 4:54 pm

Hell try you some Remington Nitro Buffered Magnums, can't be them, even better than turkey loads.
Model12
Veteran

Hey Anatidae

Postby Model12 » Thu Jul 26, 2001 9:01 pm

Thanks for the "serious" comments. I guess I was just wondering if the did as well as lead. I am old enough to remember when that was Legal Judge! I was just looking to find something to shoot in my O/U on those mornings when it's just me and the dog and I'm TRYING to kill 4 greenheads with 4 shots. (doesn't happen often)....
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Hey Anatidae

Postby Anatidae » Fri Jul 27, 2001 1:20 pm

Sorry it took so long to reply...'been tryin' to 'log-in' for 2 days....won't take my password.

Anyway, No, I haven't tried any of the T-Max shells...hoping to test some Federals, this Sept. I probably don't shoot enough shells to really notice a difference among the brands. Since we don't generally 'pass-shoot' it's hard for us to test the affectiveness of any load, because you do that by stretching the limits of the load. I'm fairly reluctant to do that because I know MY limits, and they are less than the ammo's capability, at times.

We shot X-perts last year over decoys and never had a problem. Kill ratio for Anne was 1.7 shells/bird and mine was 2.1 shells/bird. A lot of the shots over the 1:1 ratio was finishing off cripples. Anne won't hardly shoot at a cripple on the water('contends that it is a waste of shells....and in a lot of cases she's right!) She'd rather send the dog. I don't always agree with that and end-up sending a 1-1/4oz veto overide into 'swimmers'. (That accounts for the difference in our shooting percentage). So, I guess you could say we're satisfied with the X-perts. I may have to go to Drylocks or Supreme HV Winchesters in the rice field until I get use to judging the range, again...it's been a long time since I've gunned a ricefield.

Our lost bird ratio was 1.0033%....lost two in the water hyacinths, had a hawk pick-up a sailer, and had another sailer swim-off. I view that as 'acceptible' losses, compared with what most hunters experience (and don't admit to), even though we hate to loose ANY game that's crippled. That's a 'bad' hunt for us!
Model12
Veteran

Hey Anatidae

Postby Model12 » Fri Jul 27, 2001 1:37 pm

Yep, I know what ya mean about the cripples. We usually have the little "Ganue" with a 8HP on it tied behind, (actually beside) the boat so someone can jump in it and run-down a "sailer", instead of sending a dog on a 150yd retreive through open water that's ice-choked and 10' deep. Whew, that was a long sentence. Thanks yall for the opinions. I'll let you know how they, (the shells) work for me.... [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Return to “General Discussion Forum”