Spray Foam insulation

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Spray Foam insulation

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:47 am

thinking about having my shop done in spray foam insulation.

can do either closed or open cell foam.

thinking of doing 1-2" of closed cell foam in - between the studs and on the roof deck.

my shop is an old chicken house that I am renovating so its not exactly air tight.

any one had this done before in a shop area? how did it work for you ?
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
pondman
Duck South Addict

Re: Spray Foam insulation

Postby pondman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:34 am

JD,

Call Matthew Avery 601.906.3060. Good guy, had been doing it forever and can talk you through what would be best. He sprayed a barn/cabin for us. We have been very happy.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:39 am

Energy insulation has done three metal buildings for us using open cell spray foam and it works wonderfully. One of the buildings has a mini split AC / heat system in it, thermostat setting is 76 in the summer and I promise you it feels like it's 50° when you walk in there right now because it's so dry.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
rowltide

Postby rowltide » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:07 pm

If you choose open cell on your roof you will have leaks if there are ANY openings..... It's basically a sponge
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:40 am

Go with Wildfowler's recommendation and look no further. I am not jealous of anyone, but if I was, it would be over their shop.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:04 am

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
rowltide

Postby rowltide » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:53 pm

Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:21 pm

Energy Insulation did my house and are truly the best i've seen at any type of insulation. I specifically asked a guy that was previously in the window business who was the best he had ran across. He gave me Energy's number. They truly know exactly what they are doing. Like Wildfowler asked......i've never heard of anyone saying used closed cell to prevent leaks. Actually they used open cell under my roof so that we would see if there was ever a leak. You don't want it holding water above and rotting any wood. The insulation itself won't absorb water....it's a petroleum product. There's definitely different uses for each. Call someone like Energy even if you don't use them and you'll see they know what they are talking about. I've never seen anyone caulk EVERY single seam between two pieces of wood......and then seal every window margin before even going forward with insulation.
rowltide

Postby rowltide » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:42 pm

Like I said, I'm no spray foam expert so you should leave it to the pros!

The applications I was referring to in my post were metal roofs and the open cell foam was sprayed directly on the underside of the roof where we could see daylight. Turns out the metal roofing company told us never to use open cell foam because it soaks it up like a sponge then drips on the furniture in our warehouse.

HJK
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:22 am

applying a closed cell foam for waterproofing underneath a roof is a disaster waiting to happen. it would be a band aid.

If I were building a new house I would skip the vapor barrier step in the farming process, and just spray closed cell on all out side walls - It will literally glue the entire house together, as well as make it air tight. then I would install traditional or open cell on inside walls.

Thanks for the contact information - I have been in touch and will be getting something done in a few months.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
rowltide

Postby rowltide » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:10 pm

Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:28 pm

jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:54 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”