What is baiting?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Re: What is baiting?

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:18 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:28 pm

As I was reading up on the link in the OP, I noticed a regulation I've never noticed before:

"Rallying. You cannot hunt waterfowl that have been concentrated, driven, rallied, or stirred up with a motorized vehicle or sailboat."

I hunted some public land Saturday and had never seen it so bad. Not even an early flight of ANYTHING. We were on our way out, powered by a 2.5HP mercury 2-stroke, when we flushed some woodies about 200 yards away. I shut the engine down, and we came to a complete stop. I understand that we were legal as it pertains to "hunting from a motorized vehicle" as we were not under any motion as a result of a motor. BUT I didn't know it would have been illegal to shoot those ducks had they flushed towards us.

Our guns were unloaded and cased, so it wasn't an issue. But at the distance the birds flushed, I would have easily been able to uncase, load up, and fire had I wanted to. Personally, I just don't think that's very much fun or sporting. But I didn't know until now that it would have been illegal.

Learn something new every day!

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:03 pm

ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:31 pm

"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:52 pm

Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:33 pm

"I'd still like to stick that shotgun up a mallard's as$ and pull the trigger!"---FRITZ RUESEWALD @ 93 years old...(The Arkansas Duck Hunter's Almanac, pg.91)
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:15 am

the tree
Veteran

Postby the tree » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:54 am

Wingman, I believe you help the sport by answering questions on a public forum.
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:28 pm

I had always been under the misconception that a hunter could be ticketed for hunting over bait simply by having brushed up against cornstalks and knocking kernels to the ground. This idea always seemed to me to be unfair and simply intended to provide a ticket-happy game warden an opportunity to write citations.

I was much relieved to read the linked USFWS bulletin that clarified the point with the following language that has already been mentioned:

It is legal to hunt over "standing or flooded standing crops where grain is inadvertently scattered solely as the result of hunters entering or leaving the area, placing decoys, or retrieving downed birds. Hunters are cautioned that while conducting these activities, any intentional scattering of grain will create a baited area. "

I never had a problem with the regulation prohibiting hunting over corn that was intentionally knocked down for the sole purpose of making bait, but inadvertence was another story.

On another regulatory note, there is a compelling argument that the existing tagging and transport regulations are written, and can be enforced, in a way that tends to penalize well-meaning and otherwise legal hunters.
flyhi2
Veteran

Postby flyhi2 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:45 pm

What about beans that were left in front of the pit by the farmer to "leave some food"? Obviously, by now every single bean has popped out, so there is no grain to manipulate. There is nothing but a stalk there. Can those stalks be manipulated so that we can hunt the pit? Open water is out of gun range.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”