Taxidermy Rip-off.

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
The Waterfowler
Veteran

Taxidermy Rip-off.

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:05 pm

Admittedly taxidermists can be a little left of plumb, but to claim some other taxidermists work as your own is pretty low. I mounted these birds several years ago for a good client and now this guy is claiming them as his own. He didn't even bother to photo shop them off my trophy room wall at my home that many have visited. I may not be the best waterfowl taxidermist but I try hard and I guess it's a compliment for someone to use my work as his. Guess he's a step or two below mine in quality. I feel for those that are taken in by this bait and switch. I thank the ones that knew my work and called my attention to this.

Helping ducks have a bad day since 1961.

http://www.getducks.com
www.thewaterfowlerjournal.com
We hunt the World!
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Re: Taxidermy Rip-off.

Postby jtdumallard » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:21 pm

Pat i believe I would call him out on it. I dont know Tommy personally but i have several friends that take game to him to mount. Pretty crappy thing he did.
"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
cajun squealer
Duck South Addict

Postby cajun squealer » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:49 pm

Here's the link to Pat's previous post of this mount in case of any doubt:

http://www.ducksouth.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=100947&p=914841#p914841
Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him.
--Willie
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:07 pm

That not fraud???? At least false advertisement.
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:29 pm

Waterfowler,

You have any experience mounting pheasant, and if so, what would you charge for a standing mount?
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:57 pm

It is amazing how low some people will go. Hope he gets called out by lots of people for this.
yankee
Veteran

Postby yankee » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:27 pm

That is low.
The Waterfowler
Veteran

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:34 pm

We hunt the World!
OBoykin
Regular

Postby OBoykin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:39 am

Detective work on this site is amazing!!
gator
Duck South Sponsor

Postby gator » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:46 am

wow.

gator
HRCH Eight Gauge - Gauge (see you on the bridge buddy)
HRCH Eight Gauge's Mountain Man - Trapper
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:00 am

I don't know Mr. Lovelace and have never dealt with him.

It is possible to give this guy the benefit of the doubt that he's not trying to say that the mount in the photo is his work. It's poorly worded and does not give appropriate credit, although on FB he is claiming he never knew who did the mount until Mr. Pat came forth.

One clue: He took a picture of a picture with the push pin in the photo. It's obviously not a mount that was "just finished."

Anyways, before we go out and internet lynch the guy, it might be worth considering the possibility that he just wasn't careful to assign proper credit and had no intent to claim the work of Mr. Pat as his own. He is not without fault, but explicitly trying to claim another man's work as your own is different that writing a careless post that could accidentally be interpreted as such.

P.S. I hope I didn't increase the cost of the pintail I plan to haul to Olive Branch this season. :wink:

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
ransco33
Veteran

Postby ransco33 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:34 am

OBoykin
Regular

Postby OBoykin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:02 am

Don't think I've ever seen a Kia dealership post Cadillac pictures on the internet and say they were Kia's.

But then, I developed the College Football Playoffs....
deltahunter49
Veteran

Postby deltahunter49 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:33 pm

Tommy has been a very close friend of my family for many years. I have personally seen his work and will be glad to show off his work from several mounts he has done for our camp. I believe he is an extremely talented taxidermist when it comes to mounting birds.

I have not personally talked to him concerning this post but i will bring it up next time i see him. Like Smoke said, maybe his post could have been worded a little different, and credit should have been given. Its possible that one of his clients took interest in your work, and provided the picture to Tommy to mimic.

I think Tommy is a good guy, who has worked hard to get his name recognized in the Jackson/Delta area so this seems a little out of character for him. Waterfowler if you would like, i can provide you his cell phone number to discuss directly instead of posting anymore on a public forum, just let me know and ill send you a pm.

Hope you can get this resolved, and keep up the good work. You have some pretty awesome looking mounts.
The Waterfowler
Veteran

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:25 pm

I've got his cell number already. Don't plan on using it though If he is a stand-up guy he would be calling me to explain and the conversation he had on FB with my son and several others just brings to light the sham he was perpetrating. I majored in Vertebrate Zoology in college, not English. But, I understand English pretty well and when one says "I just finished THIS mount" It leaves little room for missed interpretation.

We hunt the World!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”