the AR discussion

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
merlebo05
Duck South Addict

the AR discussion

Postby merlebo05 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:57 pm

Ok I am sure this has been discussed many many many times but I want to discuss it again :)

I am in the market for an AR style rifle but there are way to many decisions out there!!

AR10 vs AR15
which company (S&W, ruger, Daniels Def, Colt)

Please discuss your thoughts on this topic to help me make a decision on my next rifle :)
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: the AR discussion

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:55 pm

I don't own this one but a friend does and I really like the new DPMS Gen2 308. They've got several different versions to choose from and they are all significantly lighter than their original version. It looks slim like an AR-15 and feels like an AR-15. It actually uses AR-15 hanguards.

The one my buddy has is bone stock and is very accurate. I have two regular DPMS LR-308's that are extremely accurate also, but they both have different barrels and other parts.

What will you be doing with yours? I coyote and hog hunt at night with mine and am comfortable to 275 yards with mine. Beyond that I need to know the exact distance.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:09 pm

I personally would go with the AR 15. They are mch lighter than the AR10, ammo is cheaper, and can take down anything you need to around here. If you are just wanting a basic gun just to have look at the ruger. Hard to beat it for the money. If you know somebody that is knowledgable on how to build them that is another great option.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:37 am

If you are just wanting to plink and hunt with it and keep it for SHTF type stuff then I would go with a AR15 over the AR10. It is lighter, cheaper to buy and shoot and if you got one in 5.56 then you could buy an additional upper in 300 Blk Out or 6.8SPC if you wanted a more effective hunting rifle for about the same price as an AR10 would cost buy itself. If you go with something like the Ruger or Smith then you get qood quality and a good price and you can customize from there later on if you want too..
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:49 am

I would go with the AR15 as well.

Everybody has a brand preference due to price or quality, etc.

Buy a brand that has been producing them a while. Don't just look for the cheapest.

Those folks that stamp the horse on the side have been doing a long time. :wink:
There will be a day....
Matt S
Veteran

Postby Matt S » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:21 pm

They are all pretty dependable from what I have seen but the colt will hold its value. Just to have the AR 15 is all you need if I was going to hunt with it I would get the AR 10. I have a FNAR I got a good deal on so I went with it over the 10.
tazdog
Veteran

Postby tazdog » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:37 pm

Ar15 more caliber choices it is easy to build your own most people that by a stock rifle end up customizing it anyway
Rowdy53103
Veteran

Postby Rowdy53103 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:41 pm

If going with an AR15, I would recommend building your own so you get what you want.

Do you have to have one today? If you are willing to wait until Black Friday/Monday sales, you can get some really good deals on AR parts. Also watch slickguns.com for sales. You would be surprised just how cheap you can build a quality AR. The only problem is that building them is highly addictive. After you build one, you will have 3 or 4 more you are trying to hide from your wife in no time....

I have no comment for the AR10. I haven't built one of the them....yet.
Veteran

Postby 1010 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:44 pm

tazdog
Veteran

Postby tazdog » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:12 pm

Check out www.ar15.com this is probably the most informative at sight
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:35 pm

As tazdog mentioned, build your own. Anderson strippled lower is $55 and Cabela's had CMMG lower parts kits for $70.

Daytona Tactical has a 300BLK kit no lower for $359. Add in a $55 lower and you have a complete AR-15.

http://daytonatactical.com/products/16- ... t-no-lower

I have a 300BLK upper from DT and they have some very nice products for their prices. I like the Keymod rail much better than the Quadrail. I just find the Quadrail to be to bulky.

20" SS 300BLK upper with 12" slim keymod rail for $280: http://daytonatactical.com/products/300 ... ing-handle . Add charging handle and bolt carrier group.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero

Return to “General Discussion Forum”