Speaker Phillip Gunn Calls For Removal of Confederate Flag..

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Re: Speaker Phillip Gunn Calls For Removal of Confederate Fl

Postby LODI QUACKER » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:17 pm

Cwink thats just us getting by in the world we live in here in MS and especially the MS delta. 99 out of 100 interactions here with anybody of other races is a negative experience and involves one of the people described above. I do my best not to put every body in the same pot but the truth is the truth. For the record, I grew up in Winona, Clarksdale and Yazoo city MS. When I was in my grandfathers home, to sit in on a the dealings he had with people and blacks folk in general,they were simply not treated the same. There were some that were landowners and farmers and those guys were respected and they provided for not only themselves but the community. Some of those views and statements could easily be conversations that took place in 1905 v/s 1979.
I sometimes work with a few black people that the only way they are different from you, I or anybody you meet in the duck woods is the color of their skin. Thats the people I have no problems at all with.
Long Cut
Veteran

Postby Long Cut » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:40 am

I followed the thread the last week or so. There have been statements here about the possibility of taking down confederate monuments, names etc. while on vacation down here in south Alabama I noticed the mobile news station running a story on this very topic. I may be mistaken and some of you can probably correct me but it appears that Birmingham, Alabama is about to take action. It seems as if the Birmingham city council ( or some other city group) has called for the removal of a confederate monument erected in 1905 by the Daughters of the Confederacy. The city council is asking that it not Only be taken down but that Daughters of the Confederacy pay for the removal because they had it erected in 1905.

My mind does not wrap around this. Can someone please help me with what I am not understanding or leaving out. I was a bit dumbfounded when I heard this story. I can fully see this coming to fruition in other places closer to home. Are we about to witness much more than a flag debate?
bigoak
Duck South Addict

Postby bigoak » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:47 am

Well the king of all southern rednecks has spoken. Dale Jr says the flag must go.
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:08 am

They have pulled the Dukes of Hazzard from TV.
Sad day murica!
If I thought it would do any good, I'd be okay with the decision.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:05 pm

HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:40 pm

MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:14 pm

"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:24 pm

eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:31 am

So I'm up here in bourban country this week (Kentucky) and have seen several jacked up chevy trucks with loud pipes sporting FULL size rebel flags. They have them attached to poles & mounted in the back corners of the beds. They rip & romp up & down the interstates & through town like you would not believe. I'll try to get a picture of the next one I see. I'm not sure if this just started after all the flag removal stuff or what, but I'm surprised I haven't seen one pulled over yet. These type folks are not helping the situation at all! IF they only knew how stupid they look............
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:35 am

Not only up there. Seen it recently in bama and Florida. Those folks cause most of the problem.
feather
Veteran

Postby feather » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:44 pm

I'll chime in here and say as a former commander of the largest Sons of Confederate Veterans camp in Mississippi...change the flag. The battle flag has long been tarnished by the acts of evil, rotten scoundrels and there is no honor (for most) in it flying over our state institutions. It makes us look ignorant in the eyes of others and it impedes economic growth in our state. Sad to say but I think it's true. Please note that I said "I think it's true"...I don't know it's true but I feel it is. While I'm proud of my Confederate ancestors, I cannot get past the racial hatred that the battle flag now represents for most people. Don't get me wrong..I dearly love the flag and proudly claim many Confederate ancestors but I now know that the actions of the Klan and their ilk have forever destroyed the battle flag and it's acceptance among civilized people. Same thing happened with the ancient and beautiful swastika. It will forever be associated with Nazi Germany and it was originally a beautiful thing. Progress is painful for me too. On another note, I'm pretty sure our monuments and graveyards are safe as few pay any attention to them. The flag, on the other hand, is everywhere and waaay more visible to those offended and I think it needs to go. I also think this fuss will blow over as soon as the media has the next crisis to exploit. It becomes a "non-story" in Mississippi if we quietly adopt a new flag as Georgia did a few years ago. This is now our "Lost Cause" and it's not worth it folks. Example...you will never convince most people that N.B. Forrest DIDN'T start the Klan. That's because Forrest Gump SAID he did at the beginning of a movie. In our society that's all it takes...believe me I've tried to educate the ignorant and it cannot be done. Same thing with why grand pappy fought the yankees...no one will believe you if you say it was to defend his home and family. It's all about slavery to the outside world and it will never be any different. It's also impossible to refute if you read the Article of Secession which our state representatives adopted in 1861. With that said though..I leave you this which I found years ago in the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. My dad's grandfather signed up in Oct. of 1863 at 40 years old when this made the rounds:

CIRCULAR.] HEADQUARTERS FIFTH MILITARY DISTRICT,
Grenada, August 4, 1863.
Present indications render it probable that the enemy will soon attempt a raid into this district. When they come, it will be with a strong force, and with the determination to take possession of the country, or to destroy all that is valuable in it. It is time when every true-hearted man should rise in defense of his home. There is no time for delay; the enemy are at our doors, and to-morrow may see our homes in ruins and our families outcasts and beggars. There are enough men in this district, who are capable of bearing arms, to repel any attack, and let no one hesitate. Let every man who is liable to conscription come forward at once, and take their places in the ranks by the side of their brothers.
Let those who are exempt from conscription organize themselves into companies for local defense, under the act of Congress, and stand up like men for the homes, of their wives and children and the property for which they have labored. They may arm themselves with such weapons as they can procure, and ammunition will be furnished them by the Government. Let all soldiers who are absent from their commands report at once to this place. To those who are "absent without leave," and who respond promptly to this call, the brigadier-general commanding promises to recommend a full pardon for their absence.
Let every man and boy who can handle a gun rally at once for the defense of Mississippi. The blazing towns, the desolate farms, the plundered citizens, the outraged women who mark the path of the enemy wherever they have gone, warn you what to expect if they are allowed to succeed here.
It is for you to determine whether you will patiently submit to these miseries, or rise in your might to repel them.
By order of Brigadier-General Chalmers:
W. A. GOODMAN.
Assistant Adjutant-General

Good night my Mississippi brothers...David
"Locked, cocked and ready to rock, doc"..Ted Nugent
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:40 am

Very well said, Feather.
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:22 am

The Memphis city council has voted to dig up General and Mrs. Forrest's remains and remove his statue from Forrest Park. I have long suspected, and now it is coming true, that the real goal is to eradicate every vestige of the Confederacy. This is an abomination, not "progress."

"Progressives" are not seeking to clarify and sharpen appreciation and knowledge of our distinctive history - their point is to discredit that history. And further, they have no interest in advancing alternative arguments and exchanging different views. Their goal is to demonize their opponents and purge them from the public square.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:56 am

Nobody owes you anything.
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:52 pm

How can a State funded municipality remove the state flag from state paid for buildings? How is this even legal for them to do?

http://www.newsms.fm/grenada-city-counc ... c-grounds/
How do you like your Hope and Change?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”