Coyote hunting suggestions

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Greenhead329
Veteran

Coyote hunting suggestions

Postby Greenhead329 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:13 pm

We have a major problem at my family farm this year..I think the weather had a hand as well, but we are being over run with coyotes, they have attacked one of my dogs and killed the other...
killed one of our baby calves...
they have been coming into the yard, but I never have a chance to pop a shot off.

I set up today over the dead calf with no luck...it's been a long time since I've focused on just coyotes...any new tools tricks? Are the fox calls worth the money?
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Re: Coyote hunting suggestions

Postby Dux Be Us » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:02 pm

Had a fella tell me that a siren set to go off at dusk will run them out...lock up your dogs and put out some glassed ground beef and anti freeze :wink:
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
MrGoodtime
Veteran

Postby MrGoodtime » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:16 pm

The calls do work, but dont miss, if you do that one wont come back and will educate any that travel wit it
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:23 pm

My uncle had the same problem. He got a Great Pyrinese and no longer has coyote problems around his house or farm. These big dogs will slap kill a coyote. Also my dad has a really aggressive Blue Tick that will do the same thing. He has killed two coyotes this year, not that I recommend one for this but he just doesn't have any fear of them. If any of these two dogs hear a pack of them crank up howling, off they go trotting off the porch like its no big deal.
work hard, play hard
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:49 am

I've had big fun lately chasing those things. I've got foxpro e caller, but have had much more success using a mouth caller. (Rabbit squeal) the e caller works but I'm sure I've been over doing it since duck season opened. For me currently, less calling the better.

You need to be ready. Meaning aiming your gun in the direction you expect to see them with finger on the trigger.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
mlj300
Veteran

Postby mlj300 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:12 am

Trapping might be more effective in your situation. Set a snare at every fence crossing you find, just lock your dogs up first.
Only Those Born & Raised in Nort East Mississippi Will Know Exactly What i MeanTo Those Set Adrift Amidst BrokeDick Rednecks,Radical Pentecostalism,Moonshine Bootleggers and PusserMania,There are Two Kings to Choose From-Elvis or Jesus.
-Jimbo Mathus
khound22
Veteran

Postby khound22 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:01 am

Foxpro calls are great. I've got the wildfire, love it. You need a good mouthcall too. Look on predatormasters.com. All the info you ever want to know about yote huntin. If you were close to Desoto Co I would love to help w the problem....
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:05 pm

An e-caller is the easiest way to get into the game.

The most crucial part in hunting them is wind. If the wind isn't right, there's no sense in going. If you have an idea as to where they are coming from, face that direction, but a cross wind is ideal. They'll circle downwind of the caller. You just have to shoot them before they make it downwind of you. Wind in your face can work too, but often they will be very wary since their greatest advantage is taken away, and they are going in blind (smell blind).

Be very stealthy when you go set up, and hide very will. Think of them as a turkey that can smell. Possibly one of the hardest animals to hunt in North America because of how smart they are.

A skilled trapper is really and truly the only real means of controlling their population. Once you've shot one or two on that property, it's highly unlikely you'll kill any more by calling them in. Don't try and poison them. You'll just end up killing other stuff.
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Agua
Veteran

Postby Agua » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:17 pm

^^^ Everything he said. You're never going to eliminate them by hunting, and you aren't going to get many opportunities for a shot either. They are waaay smart.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”