Anybody here training dogs?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
blgros1
Duck South Addict

Re: Anybody here training dogs?

Postby blgros1 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:38 pm

Well hell then give me some pointers. I have a 19 month BLM. I had a professional train him for 9-10 months. I could not be happier with the results. I have continued his training myself since I have gotten him back. He is steady, slam dunks(cold) pattern blinds, and does fairly well with regular cold blinds out to about 100 yards. He will take cast, back, left, and right, and stops on whistle. All this applies to both land and water. drills we do at the moment are: walking baseball, wagon wheel, and lots of single and double marks. I dont have access to much help, so training on my own. What direction do I go from here? This will be his first season and I'm thinking it will be a great learning season for the both of us. I haven't decided, nor do I have time right now, for HT. Im just looking to keep teaching him and advance his skills as much as possible. So let's have it..
Thanks,
Barry
"I don't know what it is bout this time of year, don't know if my lip is to short or my toof is to long, but poooooo my lips is chap chap" poo poo brousard
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:59 pm

Bigros,

I think the point you are at is one where a lot of folks kind of bog down. I'm starting a separate thread on the subject.
grnhed
Duck South Addict

Postby grnhed » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:53 am

grnhed
Duck South Addict

Postby grnhed » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:01 am

Barry,

Sounds like a lot of us are in a similar boat, and I would love to get the dog forum back up and really going. RTF is a wealth of info., and I get a lot from there. However, its almost to much information and often times hard to find the actual answers in all the other good and related information.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:01 pm

Hal, your Pearl sounds a LOT like Ruby. I'm sure I'll be pestering you as we dive off into this thing. Sent you a PM
Duck Chaser
Veteran

Postby Duck Chaser » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:04 am

Bill, I can relate to that first post. Those were good times. I guess we were fortunate to have a good group that was at a similar stage back then. Have my son's dog that I work with when time allows, which isn't much.

Good on ya for getting some discussion going around here. You and others have a lot to offer from experience. I'd like to check in ever so often and find some dog talk. Never know when I can check back or respond, so not much posting.. Another 10 years, and I may be burning it up around here. :)
HRCH Rusty MH
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:53 am

DC,
I hope it doesnt take 10 years to get you back in. I remember the trip we took to the Lardy seminar several years ago. You were a good sport sticking by us when we were without a doubt the WORST dog/handler team there. When Stinger ran the first set up and his head spun around 3 times like the exorcist you'd have thought he'd taken a dump in the middle of a white house state dinner :D
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:07 am

mfalkner,

I have had some experience with British dogs. Recently I was asked to help with a young "spooky" one like you describe and I kept him at my place a couple of months. There was a zone that surrounded me that he didnt want to enter. I dealyt with this several ways. First I used treats to get him comfortable coming to me on recall and gave him the treat from between my legs. Later with retrieves it was same thing, I would take bumper from a front finish where he had to come right up to me. I did delivery from the side well after he was comfortable running right up between my legs.

One thing is to make sure you dont do anything to reinforce the spooky behavior. If the dog freaks out when you have it on lead walking up to another person and you reach down and pet the dog to comfort it and calm it down then you reinforce and encourage the response. I ignore the response. If the dog sees you as leader and you are nonchalant about meeting a new person then it reassures the dog.

These are just ideas, they may or may not apply to your dog. You are certainly in good hands with Steve and Travis

Bill
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:26 pm

Jumping-in with both feet now. Anne and I both have new pups (13 weeks). Outside of some basic commands, they have been truck and kennel conditioned over 4680+ miles and counting - completing their first trip to Canada for the last 5 weeks.

Looking forward to getting into the real fun and getting more acquainted.

Anatidae
Topbrass Just Turn Me Loose 'Rip'
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Bill,

Makes sense. When I was at Steve's and she kept trying to hide from him I just stood there and made her deal with him. I'm sure he could have her as a lap dog in a week or so.

Randy, look forward to watching those pups come on; they should be nice. Maybe we can work em together some.
Duck Chaser
Veteran

Postby Duck Chaser » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:56 am

HRCH Rusty MH

Return to “General Discussion Forum”