Public Service Announcement - Windows XP

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Re: Public Service Announcement - Windows XP

Postby cwink » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:16 am

Ronnie,

Starting to get some issues on my PC.. I am running Windows 7. What is a good antivirus software? Is PC Matic any good?
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:42 am

I'm not Ronnie by any stretch. Hit it with the free version of Malwarebytes, then follow up using http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download for a free option. Webroot, McAfee, and Kaspersky are all rated pretty well for paid alternatives.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:33 pm

I like Symantec. They have a $40-ish personal option.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:10 pm

If it's running slow you're too late putting AV on it. Like edub said hit it MalwareBytes and then ComboFix (this will reset Internet Explorer back to default basically) to purge the malware. We have had the best luck with ESET out of all the AV products. Microsoft Security Essentials and ClamWin are two free AV products.
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:13 pm

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:55 am

I have security essentials, it runs everyday.. Just ran the full version and it found two items and I cleaned them up.. Seems to be better now.

Thanks.
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
jbs38654
Veteran

Postby jbs38654 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:54 am

PC Matic

'Merica
"N¡gger please"
Paula Dean
southdeltan
Veteran

Postby southdeltan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:35 pm

I've had good results with Advanced System Care, MalwareBytes and Avast for antivirus stuff. I try to keep all drivers updated, as much free space as possible, if I end up not using programs I get rid of them after a few months.

I've managed to get rid of a few things that the interweb said required a wipe and fresh install. I've been lucky, however. I look forward to affordable solid state HDs.

I'm using Win7 on my main PC which is still relatively new. I think I have some room to upgrade Ram. I know I can upgrade audio and video cards. I need to put in a backup drive but I think I'll need a new power supply.

I've been wanting to put Ubuntu on a drive and test it all out then migrate over to that. My wife's a Mac person (works at a newspaper and does graphic design/photography) and she get kinda ticked when I tell her Mac OS ain't Mac OS anymore.

At my school, almost every PC still has XP on it. I think there's room for ram upgrades on some of the boxes, they're not that old. Our SysAdmin is an avid DuckHunter but I don't know if he frequents this website, lol. I don't envy his job.

There's no way all of our hardware will be upgraded beyond XP any time soon.
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:38 pm

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:51 pm

How is PCmatic? I've seen the TV commercials, but never knew anyone who has it. I recently changed over to Avast from AVG and liking Avast. Also use MB, but will look into ComboFix as well.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
lower14
Veteran

Postby lower14 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:07 pm

[quote="rjohnson"][quote="teul2"][quote="edub20"]Where'd my email go(.pst)... You lost my email(.pst)... I can't live without my 34.6GB of email(.pst). :D[/quote]
I am dealing with that person right now. 21 PSTs, totaling 13.4 gig and a 24gig mailbox.
"Why is my new computer slow (outlook using 50% or RAM)?"[/quote]

Every D@MN day I hear this crap from someone and they don't want to hear the answer to their problem. Or they don't want to spend the money to fix it right.[/quote]

Not sure of the size of your company, but all it takes is one good lawsuit where the owners learn that emails in PSTs are discoverable and they should clamp down on those pretty tight. Most all of the large companies in Richmond (Altria, Media General, Performance Food, Genworth, Capital One, and others) have a max email retention of 3 years, with some as short as 90 days(!). None of the above even allow PST creation to the best of my knowledge.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”