Planting Muscadines?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Planting Muscadines?

Postby DoublePslayer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:25 am

Anybody done it before. I'm wanting to establish a couple vines at the house. We picked a bunch for jelly this weekend, and I saved a couple dozen for seed.
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Re: Planting Muscadines?

Postby landscaper » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:41 am

I don't know enough about it to give you a good answer, but I'm pretty sure muscadines are dioecious . You'll have to have a male and a female plant for them to produce. Guess you have to peek under their little leaves to tell which is which.
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:25 am

per msucares.com:
Check with your nurserymen if you are purchasing one muscadine plant to make sure it is a variety that will set fruit. Some muscadine varieties have only female flowers and would require another variety as a male pollinator for fruit set. These muscadine varieties require a pollinator: Scuppernong, Summit, Fry and Jumbo. These muscadine varieties are self-pollinating and will pollinate the varieties listed above: Carlos, Magnolia, Roanoke, Doreen and Regale.

http://msucares.com/lawn/garden/coast/02/020817.html

Establishment and Production
of Muscadine Grapes

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p2290.pdf
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:48 pm

I've been wanting to plant some for a while now.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
donia
Duck South Addict

Planting Muscadines?

Postby donia » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:04 pm

^^^call who i told you about in town. i mentioned it to his wife the other day (she was writing a history of isola book with mom) and she said absolutely, especially since he's had trouble getting around. and a big tree fell across half of it, so may try to get a rooting/cutting this fall...doesn't sound like he's going to try to revitalize it. it seems like he has 2 varieties.
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:11 pm

"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:46 pm

1, plant certified rootstock, 2, after each years growth, prune them back way more than you think you should to encourage branching and to establish your main vine and to strengthen your mainstem before much fruit is set. Also, fertilize well with P and K, but not too heavy with the N. I have right at an acre of them, and this is the third year. They produced basically none the first year, a fair amount the second and I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with all of them this year. If any of you want to come pick some for a small fee let me know.
work hard, play hard
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:32 pm

ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:37 pm

yep
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:10 pm

Thanks for all the tips. I'm not really worried about getting a certain type of plant. Just as long as they produce. I ate enough of the ones we pulled to about make me sick, so they taste fine to us. Just wanting to know if I can put them in a planter now, or wait until later in the fall. I planted some persimmons the year before last about this time, and I have about 2 dozen saplings now. I'm thinking about going the same route with this.
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
*7*
Veteran

Postby *7* » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:51 pm

You can take cutting from the vine that you picked from and plant the cuttings. There's different methods so google it. I've done it or years. It's cheaper than buying plants and you can take a lot of cuttings from the same parent vine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFlsrU15uoc

Return to “General Discussion Forum”