iphone 4s trouble

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
landscaper
Duck South Addict

iphone 4s trouble

Postby landscaper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:01 am

Suddenly I can't connect to wi-fi anymore. When I go to wi-fi settings the wi-fi is "grayed out" so that I can't even try to turn it on. I have tried resetting the network connections several times with no results. The only other recommended thing I can find to try is to restore the phone to factory settings. I don't really want to do that. Won't it wipe out my apps and software updates and contacts? Any suggestions?
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: iphone 4s trouble

Postby teul2 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:09 am

Id start with a cold boot of the phone. Shut it down, let it sit for a few minutes, power it back on, then try your wifi.

A reset isn't that hard to recover from if your phone is backed up in iTunes. Even if not, your apps will all show up in the app store under "purchased". I think you will have to "re-update" the phone to get it to the current IOS, but not a big deal. And contacts should all be stored in your email account depending on what email you are using and what your default setting is.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:22 am

Trying to avoid the restore because my computer has dated Windows software on it that doesn't gee-haw with the newest iphone update OR the newest itunes software. I don't fool with it much, can I log into my itunes account on someone else's computer? Then back up my phone and restore?
ransco33
Veteran

Postby ransco33 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:37 pm

You should be able to do an iCloud backup and then after you do the factory restore, you just sign into your iCloud and all your apps, contacts, photos, etc. are there. That's how it worked when I lost my phone New Year's Eve and had to buy a new one. Just signed into iCloud and everything was there just like before.
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:30 pm

Definitely backup everything. Then, reset to factory settings. If you call Apple, that's what they'll tell you to do. The Software version will stay the same even if you restore to factory settings. Apple can send you a link that checks your phone's diagnostics. My wife had one that the wifi went out on and per their diagnostics wasn't fixable. It did the same exact thing....wifi went gray and you couldn't slide the button to turn it on. They had to send her a new phone.
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:43 am

bhuggins
Veteran

Postby bhuggins » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:03 pm

Settings>iCloud>Storage&Backup>turn iCloud backup on>Backup now

If you don't have an iCloud account you may have to set that up first. Just go to iCloud.com
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:02 am

landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:26 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”