98 Honda Foreman ES shifting problems *updated with fix

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

98 Honda Foreman ES shifting problems *updated with fix

Postby bulldog ducker » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:25 pm

I picked up the cleanest older model Forman you have ever seen. It has been driven around a small 200 acre farm to check cattle. Low miles since he also has a kubota sxs that he uses. Any way the electric shift only works occasionally and the owner didn't want to deal with fixing it so I got it cheap. Do any of you know how to go about seeing exactly waht is going on with it or should I just take it in to a shop. It shifts fine through all gears with the foot shifter. Do yall know anybody that is reasonable with fixing hondas?
Last edited by bulldog ducker on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
HR Dutch Charles Sampson Bearden ( Charlie)
jmh600
Veteran

Re: 98 Honda Foreman ES shifting problems

Postby jmh600 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:42 pm

I have a 2000 Foreman ES and the shifting can be very finicky some times. Mine has no problem shifting up but has trouble down shifting. It is the worst from 1st to N when i have my headlights on. Turn headlights off and it will shift, and mainly when its cold outside. I just live with it, and don't shut it off in gear unless you want to pull the little wrench out.
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:22 pm

If remember correctly my dad had the same problem with his and it turned out to be some sort of switch or piece that had gone bad but was cheap and easy to fix.
work hard, play hard
7ducks
Veteran

Postby 7ducks » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:30 pm

Steve Woodward 601-924-3247 he's in Clinton has a shop at his home......lots of people on here use him.
A duck call is one of the best conservation tools ever invented
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:37 pm

The 98 model had a problem from the get go. It is in the shifter itself. To have it fixed properly cost about 800 bucks. That is the only real fix for it. There are lots of things you can do to make it shift temporarily but just when you need it at the worst possible moment it wont shift! You will lose the manual shifter if you leave it attached. We actually made a long shifter to come up by the gas tank and bolt it on down at the bottom. Suicide shifter is what we used to call em! Never fails when the shifter does decide to work it can make you sing soprano! The problem is a voltage problem with the shifter itself. Only effected the 98 models
boovan
Veteran

Postby boovan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:58 am

Take it to Shane & Shane's ATV, if you don't want to do the work yourself.
He's the best around that i've found & stand behind his work.
601-415-7336
I surf the internet professionally
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:24 pm

I think it is going to be an angle sensor that will cost about 70$. I went through the trouble shooting last night and that is what should be malfunctioning.
RDB
Veteran

Postby RDB » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:26 pm

I had the same exact one for 14 years. If the battery is weak and older mine always had trouble shifting. As long as the battery was fresh and charged the shifter worked great. Try a new battery to see if that's the problem. Could just be a $65 fix.
Justice --- When you get what you deserve
Mercy ----- When you don't get what you deserve
Grace ----- When you get what you don't deserve
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Re: 98 Honda Foreman ES shifting problems *updated with fix

Postby bulldog ducker » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:29 am

I did all I could do at home to try to get this thing shifting correctly. Turns out the Shift motor had gotten weak and was not completing the shift. I took it to Steve Woodward in clinton and let him have at it. He replaced the shift motor, some other part that has to do with voltage in the ES system and changed the oil for $540. I highly recommend him for fixing hondas. He is really easy to work with and knows his stuff.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”