Sick child at work; How would you handle the situation

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Sick child at work; How would you handle the situation

Postby peewee » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:00 am

Last Friday I had a female coworker bring her child into work sick. He had been sick for two days and I guess she didn't want to take off work for 3 days. Well long story short I took my daughter hunting Friday afternoon and about 4:00 I started getting chills. By time we started headed home my whole body ached. By Sunday I felt fine besides it felt like someone had beat me with a tire tool in my throat area. Well low and behold my daughter came down with it Sunday night, she got to 104.5. Took her to Dr. and my wife was getting sick, they both now have the flu. Woke up this AM and 5 year old son has come down with it. Now I can't say for sure I contracted it through her child. If I did that stuff acted fast. For the Docs here could the flu have caught up with me that fast in one day of exposure. My question for yall is how would you handle this situation. I really feel like going to human resources and complaining. I am friends with the lady and she is one of those types if I confront her she is going to get defensive. I don't want to be put in that situation at work. She usually brings him when he is sick about 3-4 times a year. It really is pissing me off now b/c its not just days missed at work, my wife works two jobs right now as we are paying off bills (full-time and PRN). We stand to loose around $1K bucks due to missed PRN. My kids will be out of school essentially this week, possibly all due to bringing a sick child to work. We work in cubicles and yes I am next to hers.

PS, I have never gotten a flu shot before, I will now. This crap sucks.
Peewee
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Re: Sick child at work; How would you handle the situation

Postby skywalker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:53 am

From an HR perspective (disclaimer, this is MY personal opinion and only that) I would not want anyone bringing their child to work, much less a sick child. Safety concerns, potential technology issues and such would prohibit this from happening. The fact this has been allowed to happen in the past is either an oversight or a lack of knowledge of the situation. I would go and speak with an HR rep, however, keep in mind that nothing you say can be held as 'off the record'. If you do this, be ready to stand up to it if questioned.

I tested positive for the flu last year for the first time I ever remember. Me, my wife and daughter all did on same day.....miserable 4 days. Now if someone tells me they came to work with the 'flu' I just laugh.....that's either entirely stupid or a lie......I have never hurt that bad in my 'bones'......
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:59 am

Peewee, the old crusty "illegitimate child" that sits beside you said shut up and get back to work!!! IF you would shut your "door" and do some JD's you would be alright. Stop whinning!!!

I agree with you though, this aint a daycare for sick kids. thats why i just leave everytime she does it!
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:18 am

kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:34 am

I'm not a physician, but the timeframe from exposure to illness would seem to fit perfectly with the flu.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:50 am

Peewee
bigoak
Duck South Addict

Postby bigoak » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am

Any chance she was told by her supervisor that she had to come to work and it was ok to bring the sick child?
Rowdy53103
Veteran

Postby Rowdy53103 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:22 am

File a complaint. Work is no place for a child, especially a sick one. There are safety concerns with a child in the workplace. The company also has added expense of lost productivity due to your absence....as well as any one else in the office that got sick and missed work.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:09 am

Nobody owes you anything.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:23 am

Peewee
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:24 am

Peewee
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:24 pm

edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Try working in IT where you touch multiple peoples keyboard/mice everyday. I should buy stock in hand sanitizer.

The one time I actually got the flu shot I got the Flu that same year (never had it before that)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:43 pm

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -George Bernard Shaw
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:23 pm

If one of my employees came in sick, I'd send them home. Id send them home if they brought in a sick kid too.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin

Return to “General Discussion Forum”