Getting a Retriever

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
cmducks
Regular

Getting a Retriever

Postby cmducks » Tue Jul 24, 2001 7:16 am

I'm interested in getting a dog in the near future. If it was up to my fiancee, we'd have a yellow lab puppy . . . immediately! However, I am near the end of my doctoral degree, and just don't have the time right now I know I need to devote to a dog, especially to a puppy.

I've never trained a retriever before, and know many of you have years of experience. Do you have suggestions on books that might teach the basics? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Ringbill
Veteran

Getting a Retriever

Postby Ringbill » Tue Jul 24, 2001 8:42 am

I am by no means an expert retriever trainer, but I have a pretty decent Labrador and have learned a lot since getting here 3 years ago. I think most people would agree that one of the Richard Wolter's books, such as Water Dog or Game Dog, is a great place to start. It is a time line based training schedule, so if you begin training from this book don't make the mistake I did and get worried or upset if your dog is ahead or behind what the book says. Other than that, I have learned a lot from the hunting retriever mailing list, and even though I don't use an e-collar, there is a lot to be learned from the Tri-tronics retriever training book. Finally, The Retriever Journal is an excellent publication for the novice to expert trainer. Hope this helps. I don't know how I ever got along without my Lab, she has brought me endless joy and saved me many birds that my sorry self didn't kill cleanly.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Getting a Retriever

Postby Anatidae » Tue Jul 24, 2001 9:04 am

In addition to Ringbill's comments, Robert Milner's book (available from DU Press) is a unique approach to communication with dogs. He learned from the 'Horse Whisperer' and really sheds light on some basic, common sense methods of getting dogs to respond.

I would venture to say, how you train a dog should depend alot on the dog and it's temperament.....and how well they respond to YOU. It's not an easy task (especially for amateurs like me) so I think it wise to equip oneself with knowledge of the basics.....otherwise it's better to hire a pro trainer. It's real easy to screw-up a good dog. Good Luck....let's do lunch, sometime.
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Getting a Retriever

Postby goosebruce » Tue Jul 24, 2001 4:13 pm

Join a retreiver club... Best money you can ever spend. Buy any and all books you can get your hands on, and which ever one you decide on, follow it to a T. Don't mix and match, you can have a ill mannered dog without going through all that trouble. Almost any book out there will make a good dog, assuming you follow it and train. The dobbs book (tritronics) is the best for a beginner (imho), even if you don't want a collar (but you will once you join a club and train with some people who know how to use one). Water dog is fine if you have a wonder dog, but if you have a dog that doesnt do what black dog does in picture 6, you lost with no hope of what to do... Its 35 years old, and a lot has happened since then. Ck out our new doggie fourm at...Training group, travis
cmducks
Regular

Getting a Retriever

Postby cmducks » Wed Jul 25, 2001 7:04 am

Thanks Ringbill, Anatidae, and goosebruce for all of your comments. I've been looking foward to getting a dog for a long time. Up until now, I kept waiting until I would have "enough time". However, at some point I guess you just have to make time! Thanks again for the advice.

Anatidae - I'll take you up on that lunch sometime. Please get in touch if you are up this way (Oxford area).
Model12
Veteran

Getting a Retriever

Postby Model12 » Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:39 am

I waited a long time myself before taking on the responcibility of a lab. Now that I have taken the leap, I hope I'll never be without one again. My lab is a black female almost three years old. She is a finished dog, trained by a professional trainer. Yesterday afternoon, we went to a small pond to train. After making several marked retrieves, I deceided it was obviously to hot. I had planted one blind about 80yds across a finger of the lake in tall grass on the dam. I sent her for the blind, she made the retreive, and stopped in the water about 15' from me. She dropped the bumper, and lay down in the water. She wouldn't do another thing. I put my hand in the water and it was hotter than the air temp. We loaded up and went home. I sprayed her down with the water hose and she let me know she felt much better. Sometimes you just need to listen to your dog. I use Robert Milners book as my "bible" on training and could highly recommend it.
h2o_dog
Duck South Addict

Getting a Retriever

Postby h2o_dog » Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:05 pm

Sounds like you're going about things the right way. Get the book first then the dog. The book that I reccommend for first-timers is "Hey Pup, Fetch It Up!" by Bill Tarrant. Tarrant takes a psychological approach and shows you what the pup is thinking and seeing. He teaches you how to avoid mistakes in training and what to do when they occur.

Also, join a working retriever club - hands on experience from a successful trainer is the best. Good Luck!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”