Ask DS: Running Shoes

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
stitch
Duck South Addict

Ask DS: Running Shoes

Postby stitch » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:19 am

......started running again......not planning on a marathon or anything, but maybe run 20-30 miles a week. That being said, I have some "off the shelf" Nike running shoes. I am not having any issues, just concerned that I have the right gear long term...... I have heard that shoes make all the difference in the world.......I am lost at this point......thoughts, recommendations, etc.
Duck$$$
Veteran

Re: Ask DS: Running Shoes

Postby Duck$$$ » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:39 am

Asics for me. 21 series. You just have to try and see what works. New balance gave me shin splints. Go to fleet feet or a local running store to get fitted and check your stride.
huntersmky
Duck South Addict

Postby huntersmky » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:41 am

I like the Nike Free 5.0's but that's just personal preference and I don't run but about 10-15 miles a week.
curlytail
Veteran

Postby curlytail » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:16 am

I've worn the Beast by Brooks for years. I have seen you come by the house a few times, would get out there and join you but back issues since February have kept me down. There are some good sources for running info in the community. Sent pm as well.
cagoodwn
Veteran

Postby cagoodwn » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:28 am

I've had good luck with Brooks. I have some picky feet.
ShotgunSP
Veteran

Postby ShotgunSP » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:32 am

Go get "fitted" and you'll get something that works. I ended up with Saucony Kinvaras and like them.
bhuggins
Veteran

Postby bhuggins » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:54 am

Closest and best bet for us is Breakaway Running or FleetFeet in Memphis. The nice thing about both stores is the owner of each is usually there and both are very helpful.

Go by and let them evaluate you (this means run in the parking lot and feel like an idiot). I have since bought the same pair of shoes every time I needed some (just buying the latest model) for the past several years. Once you find what works you can also catch last years model on sale and buy multiple pairs at a time.

If you are running 20-30 miles a week you'll be buying shoes every 3-4 months (avg 300-400 miles/pair). Don't worry about looks or color. At our age we just need to worry about being able to run in a shoe that doesn't cause an injury.

The worst is when you find a shoe that you love and they discontinue. Then you get to start the process all over again.

All that said I ran in Brooks for years and have been in Newton's for the past 6 months.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:58 am

I have always liked Brooks, and hated Nike since their early 'Air' days. If you ran in High School or College, and are getting back into it, what worked for you then may not work for you now due to changes in life. Currently, I am running in Asics because they are comfortable with a chronic tendonitis that I've developed over the years.

Plus, remember your focus as to why you are running. Are you running to train for a marathon? or are you running to stay/get in shape for duck season? or are you planning on living long enough to deer hunt on your 100th birthday?

(For the record, my nephew is in serious trouble come the winter of 2061.)
Nobody owes you anything.
Bonehead
Duck South Addict

Postby Bonehead » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:59 am

DoubleBandMS
Veteran

Postby DoubleBandMS » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:09 am

After you get fitted and find what type of shoe you need(neutral, stability, etc). Look at roadrunnersports.com. I have bought several pairs of shoes from them, great service and price. I'm partial to mizunos. Currently the wave inspire.
JoHo
Veteran

Postby JoHo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:06 am

I'm with Bonehead...Newton's are my choice. I tend to get shin splints and have not so good knees. Since switching to Newton's I haven't had shin splints and the knee pain has decreased tremendously.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Magnolia Madison Cay- "Maddie"
HR Rogue River Raffle Tickette - "Tickette"
Sprangletop1
Veteran

Postby Sprangletop1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:23 pm

Brooks, mizuno, or asics...get fitted. I run mizunos, Brooks ain't bad!
quakwacker
Duck South Addict

Postby quakwacker » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:51 pm

I've gone through the brooks ghost 4 and the ghost 5. I put over 400 miles on the last pair. I'm now in the Brooks glycerine. I love them. But go and get fitted. That would be your best choice.
medic11
Veteran

Postby medic11 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:11 pm

I run in saucony pro guide shoes. Had really good luck with the mizunos also. But like everyone else has said go get fitted and find a shoe that fits you. Most people say 6 months or 500 miles between new pair.
Freedom Hunters
http://www.freedomhunters.org

Maple Ridge's Flyboy Buzz Lightyear "Buzz"

War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.
MemphisStockBroker
Duck South Addict

Postby MemphisStockBroker » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:53 pm

Sometimes you just have to close your eyes, count to ten, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you wouldn't look good in prison stripes... and just smile at that dumbass and walk away.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”