More woes for Minnesota Waterfowl Association

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
webfoot
Duck South Addict

Postby webfoot » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:23 pm

Beleaguered waterfowl group is running out of time and money
St. Paul Pioneer Press

The Minnesota Waterfowl Association appears on the brink of bankruptcy.

The 39-year-old nonprofit conservation organization received pledges totaling only $76,000 as of last Wednesday toward its goal of $150,000 needed to keep the group financially solvent, said executive director Les Jones. The group asked its 4,500 members for at least $50 each, and so far pledges had averaged $130 each. "People in the fund-raising business say that's a really good average," Jones said, "and right now I'm trying to remain positive. But it doesn't look positive. There has been an outpouring of support but not just enough."

The group will continue to count pledges through Monday, but the board of directors is scheduled to meet Wednesday at the group's headquarters in Plymouth, Minn. That's when the decision will be made. "We've told the world that if we didn't get the $150,000, we'd cease operations," Jones said, "and I've been seeking legal advice on how that would works, such as through bankruptcy." MWA board president Jim Cox said the board has sought advice on dissolving the group. "Sooner or later, you have to make the call, and I think we're close to that," he said.

Jones said members have been asked to make pledges and not cash donations, though checks have been received. If the fundraising effort fails, checks will be returned to donors, Jones said.

What's ahead

Cox said there has been talk about starting a new organization, perhaps one that wouldn't raise money but would advocate for waterfowl conservation. "I think once we get through this, the people who are hands-on with this organization will want to take a break," he said. "I think there will be a process of reflection about how to bring about change." If the MWA board opts to shut down, it will be the end of one of the oldest and most active conservation groups based solely in the state.

Formed in 1967 by Albert Lea, Minn., duck hunters Ray Hangge and Dick Lindel, the MWA grew to 10,000 members and focused its mission on local wetland conservation projects. During its history, it was involved in more than 600 wetland restoration projects. The group was instrumental in passing legislation creating Minnesota's waterfowl stamp and helped organize and coordinate a recent "wildlife corridors" effort that, in concert with other groups and the Department of Natural Resources, restored thousands of acres of wildlife habitat with state grants.

The MWA also funds popular kids' programs, such as a wood-duck box-building effort held annually at the Northwest Sportshow in Minneapolis and Woody Camp, a conservation and hunting camp for youths.

Financial woes

The group hit hard times beginning in 2003, when a state audit criticized the handling of the MWA's finances. The irregularities prompted DNR Commissioner Gene Merriam to cut financial ties with the MWA. There was internal friction within the group, as some members split off and began their own conservation organizations. Its former executive director, Mike McGinty, was fired in 2003, and a new board of directors was elected, but the new officials soon found themselves facing a mountain of debt.

Jones was hired in January to tackle the financial problems, and some debt was erased and the DNR re-established ties with the group. When the finances took a recent grim turn, Jones cut his $57,000 salary in half, and the office staff was pared to two. Jones said it has been difficult to raise additional money because of the loss of chapters and members, and some hard feelings persist among remaining members. Some are still upset with the mismanagement issues that have been corrected.

"I think there's a lot of apathy out there and a lot of hard feelings out there," he said. "I've had some of the members say we should put people in jail. But that wouldn't keep us in business. I think there are people having a hard time forgiving."

Loss to conservation

The loss of the MWA would be "a loss to the conservation community and a serious loss to the waterfowl, grassland and wetland conservation community. They have a long history in education, legislation and on-the-ground habitat work," said Larry Nelson, deputy director of the DNR's Division of Fish and Wildlife. The MWA's demise comes at a time when Minnesota's duck hunters are frustrated by the lack of ducks in the state. A recent rally for ducks and clean water at the Capitol attracted 5,000 hunters and others concerned about wetlands and the environment, and the MWA got 225 new members. But the group's turnaround is looking bleak, Jones acknowledged.

"There has been a lot of positive things happening," he said, "but financially, the organization was in tough shape. We've just run out of time and we've run out of money rapidly."
"We face the question whether a still higher standard of living is worth its costs in things natural, wild, and free." - Aldo Leopold

Return to “General Discussion Forum”